Kids are sensitive. So, when you go for buying something for your kid, it is tough to make a decision. You have a lot of things to study at that time. When you are going to buy a crib mattress for your kid, the same thing happens; you have to consider so many things.
Here, I’m going to let you know the things that you need to keep in mind at the times of choosing the best crib mattress for your kid. The things I have told here are some simple but necessary things that you need to keep in mind. Let’s see.
Choosing the Right Crib Mattress
- Size: Picking up the right-sized crib mattress is very much important. If the mattress is smaller than the crib, there will be some space remaining inside the crib. That can be dangerous for your kid. Again, if the mattress is larger than the crib, you’ll lose some space inside the crib to allocate space for the extra portion of the mattress.
So, you need to pick up the right-sized mattress. For that, measure the length and width of the crib. It’ll help you to select the right crib mattress.
- Firmness: Firmness is another important thing to check at the time of buying a crib mattress. Often people think that soft mattresses are best for kids. It is not true. You kid won’t be able to adjust with the mattress if it is too soft. A too soft mattress is dangerous for your kid as it breaks easily when you put your kid on it.
A firm mattress is better for your kid. Though it seems too hard for a kid, your kid will easily adjust to it. Moreover, a firm mattress will help your child to make the pressure points strong. Thus it’ll keep your baby safe.
Check some other ways to keep your baby safe.
- Water resistance: At the time of buying a crib mattress, make sure that it comes with water resistant cover or something like that. As you have to feed your kid inside the crib sometimes, there is a chance of pouring some water or other liquid on the mattress. If the mattress absorbs that liquid, it’ll smell like stinks later.
So, make sure that the crib mattress you choose comes with a waterproof cover to avoid absorbing water and other liquids may be the urine of your kid as diaper licking or midnight diaper crisis is a common phenomenon sometimes.
- Ventilation system: When you are going to buy a crib mattress for your kid, don’t forget to ensure that it comes with a good ventilation system. Look for small holes or other types of the ventilation system. A mattress with a good ventilation system ensures durability. Besides, it ensures the natural temperature in which your kid is comfortable.
Some mattresses don’t come with a good ventilation system to ensure waterproofs less. In this case, I think, you should avoid the mattress.
- Ease of cleaning: A mattress should be cleaned after a particular time period. There are many reasons which make the mattress dirty. For example- slime makes the mattress dirty sometimes but children love to play with slime. In this case, you need to wash the mattress frequently.
See how to make slime with laundry detergent.
Your kid may be attacked by different kinds of diseases if you don’t wash the mattress regularly. So, you should consider the ease of cleaning when you will purchase a crib mattress for your baby.
Some mattresses require taking out from the crib if you want to clean it. Some mattresses come with a cover that can easily be taken out to clean. Maybe there are some other cleaning options. You can pick any from those according to your comfort.
- Certifications: Certifications ensure that the mattress is safe and dependable. So, make sure that the mattress you pick is verified and certified by the proper authority. In the USA, U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission and American Society for Testing and Materials are common in defining safety standards and certifying crib mattresses.
A properly certified crib mattress ensures that it contains all the needed features and specifications for the safety and comfort of your child.
You can visit this helpful article to see some best crib mattresses.
A crib mattress has a direct connection to the health of your kid. If the mattress is not good, your kid may face different diseases. So, buying a good mattress is very much important for your kid. The tips I have shared with you here will help you to buy the best crib mattress for your baby. You need to have patience and spend some time when you are selecting the mattress.